Monday, February 18, 2013

Feature Interview - Power of Film: Ari Seg

 Untitled

1. Fill me in on your background, where are you from and how did you get in to photography?

I'm from Lleida, a town from Catalonia. But now I'm working on Barcelona so I'm based here! I've always loved photography. In my teenage years I loved taking photos with my friends. But it was not until I studied graphic design I started experimenting with photography and I realized that this great "escape", this hobby, could also be a professional thing and a way to learn about composition. Last summer, I found my mother's Werlisa camera, and then my father's nikkormat. That was the time when I started taking photos with film cameras, and when I felt in love with film. This happened in a moment in my life when I had lots of free time, so I could experience a lot.


Untitled


2. You seem to favour location over studio, how come?


Absolutely! I worked in studios when I was studying, but I don't feel comfortable in there. When I'm outdoors I feel much more inspired and I love working with natural light. I think it's funnier going into a forest or a house and finding nice places to take pictures, than working in a studio.


Untitled


3. What is your favourite style of photography (Self portraiture? Fashion? Documentary)?

Fashion. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with self portraits, and learning about them. But there's no doubt that fashion photography is my favorite. When I look at a fashion editorial that I like, I don't need anything else.

Untitled

4. What is your process when taking photo's, from getting ideas to editing?

It depends. Sometimes the first thing I think about is the location. Then I choose the concept-story and last the outfit/make-up/. But sometimes I really want to shoot a story or some kind of clothes-style. When this happens, the last thing I choose is the location. I always try to do some sketches of the photos (composition,poses...). So, when it's the time to shoot, I really have a mental map. After developing the photos, I retouch some of them, just if I don't like the light or the contrast. And when I really want/need to finish a reel, it's a very improvised thing.



Untitled

5. Why do you seem to favour film cameras? And which of your film cameras is your favourite?

I feel more comfortable working with my father's Nikkormat, which I love so much. It was love at first reel! In my first photoshoot, I shoot with three cameras: nikkormat, werlisa and a digital camera. I didn't used any of the digital camera photos, because I thought they didn't have the power that the analogic ones have. So I decided to stop using digital for a while.


Untitled

6. Why do you think people are drawn to photography?


I can't understand how they are not drawn! For me, photography is a way to express myself and grow. I guess, for anyone who likes photography, making their own photos is another way of expressing themselves and creating a world of their own, where they can be free and see things as they want.



Untitled

7. How do you know which moments in life to capture?


When a moment inspires me. A location, a shadow, a ray of light or a pose. When any of those things are ok, this is "the moment".


Untitled

8. Where do you hope to go with your photography?

Now, I'm doing it because I'm having so much fun and I'm learning a lot. But I would love to do it as a professional thing! I have finally found a great job, but all the time I was looking for it, photography was practically the only thing I did and helped me a lot. It was my illusion and it still is. So I would love making a living as a freelance photographer! But if with my photos can inspire another person, I'm satisfied.

Untitled


9. What is your best tip to taking a striking photo?

Photographing what you really want to photograph, and doing it on your own way. That is the best tip for taking a good photo!

Untitled

10. Do you think you have an original style that is your own?


I try my photos to be dreamy and feminine. Girls and moments full of freedom.

white socks

11. Where do you find inspiration?

Movies, music, forests, photographers, flowers, fog, vaporous dresses, white wood, old houses, trees, shinny colored things, sundays, my garden. Anything that I looked more than once.

Untitled

12. What draws you to a particular model? What do you look for in a model?

Long hair, wild look, magic eyes and long legs. Someone that you would look more than twice.

Untitled

13. What are some of your favourite films, books and musicians?

Movies: donnie darko, the virgin suicides, the dreamers, velvet goldmine, almost famous, pride & prejudice, sedmikrasky, the royal tenenbaums, wild at heart, the neverending story, dazed and confused...I can't stop!

Books: I love an spanish writer called Ray Loriga. Less than zero, Wuthering Heights, go ask alice, and harry potter books!

These days, I'm quite obsessed with Crystal castles and The magnetic fields. And some bands I will always love...Bowie, T-rex, Blur, Pulp, the libertines.

Untitled

14. What has been your biggest achievement so far with your photography?


Knowing that some people are interested in it. This is my best achievement and what makes me happy.

Untitled

15. Do you think it’s hard to be original in photography? How do you keep your ideas original and fresh?

I think that it hasn't to be hard. If for someone it's like a "hard" job all the time, then obviously it's not what he/she must do. People has to do what they feel, no matter if it's new or original, but it would be their thing with their point of view and their style. In my case, I only try to capture and translate what's in my mind.

Untitled

16. Which photographer do you think I should interview next and why?

I love Marie Zucker photos. They inspire me so much, and they all are like a fairytale! I would like to know more about her and her work, so it would be great if you could interview her.


Untitled


17. What is your favourite photo taken by another photographer? (Link and describe why)

It's very difficult to choose only one photo in the world, but this one of Sally Mann if one of my favorites:



Normally, i preffer color photos. But Sally Mann work fascinates me. Everything in this photo is perfect. The pose, the braids, the contrast of a blonde girl with the dark woods. It looks like a fragile, innocent girl in a cloudy and dark day, but at the same time, she seems so confident and free. The classic panties, gave a natural look to the photo and remind you that it's just a girl in her garden being photographed by her mother.

18. What is your favourite photo you have taken? (Link and describe why)

This is one of my favorite photos:


Untitled

I love the colors (blue sky, blue sweaters, only blue). The fact that they look like twins and how the sun illuminates just one side of their faces. Like telling us that they have a sweet side and a bad side.The bows, give the photo a sweeter look. And that branch, let us know that they are in a place with nature.

19. If you could photograph any person alive or dead who would it be and why?

I would love to do a photoshoot with Anna karina and Jane Birkin, together, when they were young! Because they were lovely girls full of personality and talent.

And another one with Charlotte Free. She just look like a fairy. I love her skin and her hair.

Untitled

20. Give us the skinny, what's the next project you've got coming up?

I would like to buy a great digital camera to do more videos and start a zine of my blog Joy girls. And now that spring is coming, flowers, sun, ice creams, lots of inspirations, I want to take lots of photos and I really want to see the models not freezing.


Untitled


21. Which actor would play you in the film of your life?

I would love Eva Green to be the chosen one! She looks like a very passionate girl.


“The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

22. What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid?

I wanted to be a teacher, a detective, a singer, an executive. And a goonie. Well...I still want to be a goonie!

Untitled

Thank you so much Ari :)

See more or Ari's amazing work  on her Flickr here!

2 comments:

  1. You did such an amazing blog, Alex! Those pictures really deserved to be valued! What I really liked in photography is that you are able to express your feelings by just simply taking a shot of the people or places that inspire you.

    Francesca Slone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.
    Pendant Lights

    ReplyDelete